500ml Double Cream
5g Cumin Seeds
5g Curry Powder – Mild
1l Fish Stock
50g Madras Curry Paste
75g Whole Onion
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel the onions, ginger and garlic and dice finely.
2. In a large flat bottomed pan cook the vegetables in vegetable oil for 5 minutes, until soft. Do not allow to colour.
3. Add the curry powder and cumin seeds; cook for 3 more minutes. Stir and do not allow to catch.
4. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring for 2 more minutes.
5. Add the fish stock and reduce by three quarters. Water and a fish stock cube can be a good alternative.
6. Add the double cream and simmer for 10mins until thickened. Blend and pass through a sieve.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
500ml Kedgeree Sauce
A Soft Poached Egg
400g Smoked Haddock, cooked in Milk and flaked x ½ bunch Parsley, chopped
250g (uncooked weight) Basmati Rice
1. Cook the rice as per packet instructions with 1 level tea spoon of ground turmeric.
2. Warm the sauce and add the rice until you have the correct consistency. Should be similar to a thick rice pudding.
3. Add the smoked haddock and gently warm through. Finish the kedgeree with the chopped parsley, salt and pepper, top with a soft poached egg and serve.